Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Twenty Three & Ten

I am now 23. And I only have 10 days left in Savannah. Sad face. 

For those of you who are my faithful blog followers, I am deeply sorry for not posting anything new and exciting in the last week. However, I must say that this past week (especially the weekend) was filled with nothing but excitement and fun! 

Here's a quick run-down of my holiday/birthday weekend:

Brady, Courtney, Nick and I departed for Atlanta on Thursday afternoon. After a four-hour long car ride, made complete with tunes from Miley Cyrus, we arrived in the city. Much to our benefit, SCAD has a campus in Atlanta, so the four of us were able to stay in one of the living areas free of charge! What could be better than free housing while on vacation?! Our first adventure in Atlanta was not on the itinerary. Yes, we had a legitimate, detailed itinerary. Driving through Downtown Atlanta was next to impossible. Brady turned into a raged backseat driver, yelling through the window at passing cars. We all came to the conclusion that all traffic laws in Atlanta are neither obeyed nor applicable when headed to a Braves Game. Brady yelled, "We're going to miss the kick off!" Ha ha ha. That's totally something I would say. After an hour of detours, angry drivers, and sightings of awkward bumper stickers, we reached a parking lot and headed to Turner Field, Home of the Braves. It was probably the best game I have ever been to... probably because I really liked when all 38,254 attendees did the "war chant" (aka: the Tomahawk Chop). Here we are, excited as ever: 


On Friday, our morning began with a much-anticipated trip to Einstein Bagel Company. The last time I indulged in an Einstein bagel, I was in Provo, UT with my amazing Utah lovers. First tourist attraction of the day: The Georgia Aquarium!!! Only the world's largest aquarium. Only 8 million gallons of water to (figuratively) swim through. Only 100,000 animals of over 500 different species to see. Only the coolest thing to do on my last day as a 22-year-old! In case you can't read through the lines and sense my excitement, I had a blast! We had the distinct privilege of seeing some Beluga Whales as they were about to mate. Awkward, to say the least.

An even greater thrill was seeing real artifacts from the Titanic in the Titanic Aquatic exhibit, where Brady, Nick, Courtney and I were given boarding passes with real names of people on the ship. In the end, Nick, Courtney and I survived, while Brady died a heroic death by saving his wife. 

After our aquatic excursion, we took a lunch break and then visited the World of Coca-Cola. I was never a huge fan of Coca-Cola... that is, until I experienced this whole new world! The best part of this world was the tasting room, where Coca-Cola products from other countries were made available at various stations for our thirsty pleasure. I also found a life-size bottle decorated with bunnies and it made me VERY happy. 

After stepping back into the real world, the four of us went to a Lasershow Spectacular at Stone Mountain. Forty-five minutes of music, lasers, fireworks, and fun! By the time my birthday had come to a close on the glorious day of July 4, I had already seen a Braves victory, Beluga whales mating, Coke mania, three fireworks shows, one laser show, eaten the World's Best Pancakes (according to the NY Times) and I'd been wished a happy birthday by Miley Cyrus. Beat that! 

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I must say it sounds like somewhere deep in the recesses of your heart you are becoming a M.C. fan.?!? Aye?

    Can't wait to have you back in Cali! Last year of Grad School here we come!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrew!!! Let me clear the air and say that I am not a huge Miley fan. But my friends and I do like to reference here in conversations a lot since we do co-star in a movie with her now (haha). I'll be back in Cali soon and it'll be great to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete